Categorized | Player Focus

Vincenzo Bernardo 'coming to MLS'–as free agent (updated update)

Posted on 28 November 2009 by Nathaniel E. Baker

Vincenzo Bernardo ©vincenzobernardo.net

New Jersey-born forward Vincenzo Bernardo is coming to Major League Soccer. The 19-year old told ASN of his news Saturday morning, confirming what was first reported by Italian Web site Generazione di Talenti.

Bernardo signed a pro deal with Serie A side Napoli in 2008 but turned down a contract extension to become a free agent in September.

Updates:
Dec. 1: Bernardo is coming to MLS as a free agent, according to his agent Steve Georgiou. The former U.S. youth international will not have to enter a lottery “so he can train with who he chooses to or who ever invites him,” Georgiou told ASN. No word yet on who these teams might be. ASN has contacted the Philadelphia Union and New York Red Bulls and will report back if we hear something.

Jan. 7: Bernardo released a statement on his Web site saying in part that he had approached “by more than one MLS club” as well as from teams in USL. ASN has heard the New York Red Bulls were among the interested parties.

Photo supplied by VincenzoBernardo.net.

11 Comments For This Post

  1. Steve Says:

    Does anybody know where Bernardo might be headed? Who has first pick in the waiver draft anyway? I thought it was Philadelphia

  2. dan Says:

    As a returning youth international, it seems more likely to be a weighted lottery.

  3. dan Says:

    As a returning youth international, it seems more likely to be a weighted lottery.

  4. amersocc Says:

    which means what exactly? MLS decide where he goes and pretend it was due to some random process?

  5. Big E Says:

    Yeah, no waiver draft, as no one waived Vinnie. It will be a weighted lottery. See Rogers, Kyle Davies and Szetela for previous weighted lotteries.

    Basically, think state lotteries, the ones for money. Each MLS team gets a certain number of balls to put into a bucket. The number of balls is determined your suckiness and where you stand in the allocation order (I am pretty sure). So if you are say the NYRB, and you really sucked last year you will have more than the defending Supporter Shield winner Columbus. So NYRB has more balls (only here) and a greater chance of getting the player.

    Make sense now? Clear as mud?

  6. amersocc Says:

    Yeah, see my previous comment.
    In all seriousness, it sounds like either Philly or RBNY at this point…

  7. amersocc Says:

    Got an update from Bernardo's agent. Turns out he will be a free agent. So whoever wants him (and presumably offers him the best terms) gets him.

  8. amersocc Says:

    Got an update from Bernardo's agent. Turns out he will be a free agent. So whoever wants him (and presumably offers him the best terms) gets him.

  9. dan Says:

    It means that it'll be a weighted lottery, based on last year's record. So a team like NY and Philly have a better chance to get him than RSL or LA.

    And as for the update, there is no free agency in MLS, so I don't know what his agent is referring to.

  10. Ed Says:

    Maybe from the agent's POV he's a free agent, so whoever shows interest and then throws their hat in the ring with MLS will win his rights?

  11. Rex Says:

    MLS will figure out a way to place him where they want. They have a million rules and exceptions to all these rules.

1 Trackbacks For This Post

  1. Vincenzo Bernardo to Philadelphia? | American Soccer News Says:

    […] forward Vincenzo Bernardo is coming to Major League Soccer. The 19-year old former Napoli hand told ASN of his news Saturday morning. Whether he comes to Philadelphia is an open question, depending on what status MLS assigns the […]

Leave a Reply

Advertise Here
Advertise Here